Wednesday, March 30, 2022

What to wear

Italiano

Thinking about dressing warm because you will be walking in the mountains (where you assume it will be cold) is wrong. Choosing what to wear for a hike based on outdoor temperature, sky coverage, rainfall, it depends on the time, season and altitude, if you walk or run. Mountain clothing, as well as shoes and socks, the two essential elements for walking, continue to improve and evolve. Pants, sweaters and jackets are now comfortable, elastic, great fit, breathable, light and take up little space, thermoregulating, that is, able to keep the body dry, cool in the heat or warm in the cold.
For summer, light colors are preferable because they absorb less heat and clothes provide different levels of UV protection. Long-sleeved shirts and long pants cover most of the skin and therefore from the sun.

Pants

Pants must offer freedom of movement and leg protection. The choice of what to wear while hiking depends on the climate. On a rainy day or it is particularly humid water-repellent pants are preferable because they make the water slide, while for a dry day quick-drying pants are better, which absorb and disperse water quickly.[^] In addition to the length, other characteristics are elasticity, fit, different internal and external fabric (technically softshell).

Shirts

The jerseys are now made of synthetic material, water resistant so that the humidity produced by sweating can pass outside and not remain in contact with the skin, as is the case in cotton sweaters. Polyester and even more propylene are very light fabrics that retain little and very little moisture, appreciated by the sports industry. Polyamide, one of the best performing fibers on the market and better known as nylon, is instead particularly suitable for underwear and hosiery. A defect of synthetic fiber sweaters is that they tend to smell bad with sweat. They are washed at 30 °C.

The three-layer rule

When practicing outdoor sports, you need to protect yourself from the elements (rain, wind, snow, cold temperatures, etc.) by means of good perspiration management. The three-layer system helps you choose the right clothing to stay dry and warm.[^] Breathable inner layer, to wick away moisture, some famous brands are: Lycra, Capilene from Patagonia, Meraklon, CoolMax, TransTex, Vaporwick, Acquator and Micotex. Intermediate layer of insulation, to keep the heat, without exaggerating so as not to get too hot and sweat excessively, Polartec or SoftShell. Waterproof or windproof outer layer, to protect yourself from the elements, with the outer hood. Famous brands are: Gore-Tex, Wind-Stopper, WindTex.

Cap with visor

In summer, a light hat with a visor (better still with a wide brim) should be worn which protects the head from heat and any heat stroke, the scalp, the eyes, the forehead, the nose from the sun and solar radiation, and possibly provides even minimal protection from the cold.[^]

Eyeglasses

Safeguarding the eyes is important. Wind and sunlight, which increase on snow and ice due to reflection, are sources of annoying problems and, in the long run, cause eye diseases. To avoid redness, irritation and dryness, you must always be equipped with sunglasses, which protect from harmful ultraviolet radiation, in particular from UVA.[^]

How I dress

In the summer, I suffer from the heat and from the discomfort of the sun, which is harmful to the skin and eyes and can cause serious illness. I love the mountains because it is cooler, and I like to feel the sensation of cold; for me, tanning is just a way to protect myself from the sun. A path exposed to the sun is more tiring and costly than one in the shade. I prepare my excursion by choosing suitable shoes and socks and never forgetting to spread a protective sunscreen on all exposed parts of the body, legs, arms, neck, face, head. I choose a white clothing color that reflects the sun's rays or one to be visible, like an orange shirt. I wear a pair of dark sunglasses and a hat, which helps me stay focused.

Walking is an effort that raises the body temperature, and the body sweats to avoid overheating. I go to the mountains in short running shorts and a short-sleeved T-shirt or tank top, exposing my shoulders to the sun gradually, hike after hike. To defend myself from the sun high on the horizon, more than a decade ago, I bought a desert hat that has a longer peak than a regular one and comes with a detachable accessory that protects the neck and even tennis cuffs to keep the two wrists in the shade. Better still, I avoid walking during the central hours of the day in the months of June, July and August, staying in a sheltered place at least from noon to three; in a managed refuge you can socialize with other people who love the mountains like me.
Early in the morning, on less hot days, when there are sudden changes in temperature, fresh wind, or I stop for a while sweaty, I wear a very light vest, Patagonia brand. When the temperature is even lower, I wear a tank top under my shirt.

In winter, I cover myself with long pants for running, Mizuno brand, and over a long-sleeved shirt I wear a winter vest, brand Montura. Only the few times I go to high altitudes do I wear ski touring pants, pulling the jacket out of my backpack. I pay particular attention to the temperature of the head, keeping it warm with an ear band or if necessary with my black Nike stretch hat, which looks like a bonnet.

Following these criteria I get dressed, I undress and I cover myself also in my excursions on the Northern Grigna, with the smallest backpack on my shoulders that can contain the bare minimum.

References

  1. "How to choose your hiking pants". Salomon. Retrieved 18 March 2022.
  2. "How to properly dress in layers with the three-layer system". Salomon. Retrieved 18 March 2022.
  3. Schild, Sam (19 July 2021). "The 12 Best Hiking Hats of 2022". Green Belly. Retrieved 18 March 2022.
  4. "How Do I Protect Myself from Ultraviolet (UV) Rays?". American Cancer Society. 18 March 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment